Arthur Murray is the leader in social dancing. Learning to dance socially gives you the tools to dance with confidence at wedding receptions, office parties, dinner dances, and nightclubs. Learning to dance is a skill to use forever, and wherever!
What is social dancing?
Social Dancing is a non-competitive form of Ballroom Dancing built on the premise of being able to socialize while dancing with someone. Social dancers utilize all forms of partner dancing for practical use instead of performance. Whether you refer to it as social, partner, or ballroom dancing - they are all one in the same.
"I can dance with my wife anywhere and always... in the foyer, at a party, in a showcase... I love that most of all."
- Gerald Thompson, Fort Wayne Student
Learning to dance for...
- Weddings - Dances like Rumba, Swing, and Foxtrot are vital for wedding dance floor survival. A wedding is a social dance bonanza for those that possess the skills.
- Office Parties - With social dance skills in Waltz, Cha Cha, and Rumba from Arthur Murray you can make an impression few could replicate at a conference table.
- Nightclubs - Whether you are interested in sexy latin dancing at Salsa Clubs, fun and carefree dancing at Country Western bars, or enjoying the live Classic Rock music at your local watering hole - your social calendar can fill up quickly with your new social dance skills.
Why Social Dancing?
Dance students come to learn social dancing at Arthur Murray for a wide variety of reasons.
- Exercise - Burn calories and tone muscles doing something fun that your body doesn't associate with exercise.
- Expand Your Social Network - Every Arthur Murray Dance Studio is made up of people of all ages, occupations, and interest levels.
- Improve Your Connection - In this day and age where more of our human interaction has been replaced with a digital alternative, social dancing is a face to face activity built to combine graceful movement with the social graces.
how do I get started?
By scheduling an Introductory Lesson! Learning to dance all starts with that very first lesson. Our teachers will have you dancing within the first 5 minutes.
After that first initial lesson, students will sign-up for a program of private lessons, group class, and practice parties -- the trifecta of learning to dance simply and quickly! Arthur Murray's has a dance program for everyone as all of our packages are personalized to fit your individual goals, wishes, and needs. Any program can be adjusted to fit your schedules, budgets, and desires.
Basic INTRODUCTORY ProgramThe Introductory Program develops the most important dances at a basic level that you plan to use immediately. Emphasis is placed on three important elements of dancing: (1) foot position, (2) rhythm and timing, (3) leading and/or following with enough variety to keep your learning experience interesting. This program will give you a great feeling as to investing in your dancing more long-term and can will take only a few weeks to complete. We recommend this program for students with a very immediate goals, such as an upcoming wedding, business function, or vacation.
Associate Bronze ProgramThis is the program for the impatient dancer! It will develop free movement around the floor, much more variety, a little technique, footwork, and your first introduction to styling to give you more assurance that you look good on the floor. This multi-dance program is very popular with the person that wants to get on the floor this Friday night!
Full Bronze ProgramFull Bronze is the complete social dance program taught by the Arthur Murray Dance Centers. It’s designed to develop timing and techniques in all social dances selected by the student. The styling will make you look and feel comfortable on the dance floor and strengthen your leading and following regardless of your partner, the music being played, or the type of dance floor. Bronze dancers have all the confidence anyone would need on the floor because they have reached the “fun point” in dancing. Dance techniques at this level will be yours to keep as you’ll never forget the elements of each dance.
Silver ProgramSilver is the dance standard with a high degree of styling. More elaborate movements ensure you will stand out on any dance floor for all the right reasons! Continuity of movement makes a couple glide across the dance floor with many natural changes in direction, timing, and dance position. Styling, technique, balance, and control take on an entirely new meaning as this is the beginning of a more professional style and look on the dance floor.
Our Gold Standard is for the STARS! While this material is generally not used on a crowded or social dance floor, it is a standard for the hobby dancer who wants to do exhibitions & competitions. Its intricate patterns can only to be used when both partners are proficient. Choreography, styling, technique, and showmanship are necessities at this level which make this a beautiful standard to watch. Although there is a lot of work involved in this program, you will truly be regarded as an outstanding dancer able to excel in any dance there is.