The FIRST DANCE that will last a lifetime!
Whatever your vision, Arthur Murray can help you achieve the wedding dance of your dreams! Whether you want just a few lessons to make you feel more confident on your special day, or you envision a performance with a little more panache - the professional instructors at Arthur Murray can make your vision a reality. Let us help you put something together that is uniquely yours.
Here are a few tips from the experts on learning to dance for the big day:
Don't wait until the last minute. We recommend getting started four to six months before your wedding. Your first dance should be one of the most magical, intimate, and relaxed moments of your entire day. Getting started early will allow you ample time to practice and become as comfortable as possible. It's OK if you haven't chosen a song. Our highly experienced instructors can help you choose the song that is right for you. Oftentimes, couples will choose a song based on which dance they like the best. If you have a special song - AWESOME - bring it with you to your first lesson!
- Be patient when learning. Dancing is a great stress reliever and a fun date night, so don't put too much pressure on each other.
- Don't try to teach your fiance'! You'll both have a lot more fun dancing if you let your instructor do the teaching.
- Practice in the right shoes. Wear shoes to your lessons that are similar to the ones you'll be wearing for your reception.
- Be consistent with your appointments. The more often you come in, the less review there will be on each lesson. Plan at least once or twice a week to get the most from your lessons.
- Use the classes and practices when possible. Everyone feels most comfortable on a private lesson, but the classes and parties will be closer to what the rest of your reception will be like, and the teachers will be there to help!
- Learning to dance for a wedding is a special gift that you and your spouse-to-be can give to each other. A couple who feels confident and poised when they dance together will ensure that their very first dance together as wife and husband will be a memory they will cherish forever.
Things We may want to know from you on your first lesson:
- What kind of music will you have at the wedding? (Popular, Country, Classical, etc.)
- Will a band or DJ play your first song?
- Will you have mother/son, father/daughter, or bridal party dance?
- Will your honeymoon have dancing? (Latin/Tropical getaway, Cruise, Big City Getaway, etc.)
- What is the size of the dance floor at your reception?
- How many other weddings will you attend this year?
Popular First Dance Songs:
- All of Me - John Legend
- Better Together - Jack Johnson
- Could I Have This Dance? - Ann Murray, Amy Grant
- How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) - Marvin Gaye, James Taylor, Michael Bublé
- Fascination - Nat King Cole
- Fly Me to the Moon - Multiple Artists
- Happy - Pharrell Williams
- Is This Love - Bob Marley
- It Had to Be You - Multiple Artists
- I've Got You Under My Skin - Multiple Artists
- Marry Me - Train
- Marry You - Bruno Mars
- Mirrors - Justin Timberlake
- My Girl - The Temptations
- Night & Day - Ella Fitzgerald
- Our Love is Here to Stay - Multiple Artists
- Smooth - Santana
- Stand By Me - Ben E. King, Prince Royce
- Thinking Out Loud - Ed Sherran
- Who You Love - John Mayer feat. Katy Perry